I’m sad to say there’s been another loss. Now at 5 in 5 months. A 30 year old high school classmate passed away after battling brain cancer. She was this beautiful blend of smarts, sass, art, science, sports and a little bit of country love in her. To know her was to totally love her. I feel sad, mad, ashamed—I knew she was sick again but I had no idea how bad.
Kaitlin was the constant fierce pusher for me in high school. She was the kind of person that always challenged you to be better in all aspects of life because she was just. that. good. She cheered me on in little ways even after I lost touch asking about my wedding, a mutual friend’s baby, how ironman training was going and when I’d be in Madison for it. But I stayed distant so focused on work I couldn’t even bother responding to Facebook messages.
Damn it. Once again, I’m reminded that the person I’ve been the past 6-ish + years isn’t who I want to be anymore. So many friends that I lost touch with or that dropped me (for good reason) and all for a stupid job.
But she wouldn’t want any of us to stay in regret. So, in honor of this beautiful woman that accomplished more in 30 years than some of us will ever accomplish in a lifetime–
QUESTION OF THE WEEK: What’s on your Bucket List? Let’s complete a Bucket List BLITZ this week in her honor. Each day, I’m going to post about what’s on the bucket list for a specific category of life. But more importantly…I’m going to challenge us all to ACT NOW! What ONE thing are you going to cross off this particular bucket list this week or schedule for cross off?
- Monday – Love, Friends & Family
- Tuesday – Creativity, Personal Growth & Learning
- Wednesday – Finances, Career/Serving Others
- Thursday – Travel
- Friday – Health & Wellness
- Saturday – Wrap it up! What did we learn about ourselves?
Please join me by commenting with what’s on your bucket list for that area. Let’s start a conversation and gain inspiration from each other on this!
Here’s my bucket list for the LOVE, FRIENDS & FAMILY Category
- Fall in love for real. Completed February 2006; Married October 2008. Yep. I am married to my one, my only love..Nate. The man of my dreams in every sense of the word. He’s my best friend, my partner in crime, my never ending well of happy. I don’t know how I could possibly love him more, but it grows deeper every day.
- Things I still want to do with Nate (there’s a billion…but some will fall in other categories)—
- Take a dance class
- Go on a real horseback ride
- Have a family (biological, adopt or foster).
- Pay for as many other children to go through college as we have biologically or adopt.
- Be kissed at the top of a ferris wheel. Completed 9/6/09 at the NY State Fair with Nate of course.
- Teach our children the difference between right and wrong and be a good example of this.
- Raise strong, self-confident children by setting an example of strength and confidence.
- Reinstate monthly date night/something special on the 24th of each month. We were married on October 24th and the Priest (Nate’s Uncle) at our wedding encouraged us to hold it sacred each month. We got out of this habit. Time to get back in it!
- Create a mission statement for our family with input from all members.
- Watch all the movies in the AFI Top 100. We make slow progress every year.
- Have a picnic in the park. Completed at Lake Harriet Bandshell August 2010 with Nate & our first dog, Suzie.
- Get our IronMan (Ironwoman) tattoos together for completing the Ironman triathlons back in 2013 for me and his in 2015.
- Try eating only at restaurants we can walk/bike to for an entire summer.
- Things I want to do with my beautiful, big family:
- Schedule a recurring game night beyond the cousins card party in the Spring.
- Schedule a card party date with Liz & Chad again. Haven’t done this in years.
- Organize an annual Schottler family field day outside of the 4th of July.
- Get to St. Louis at least 1x a year to visit with the Hasty family & St. Louis friends!
- Find and keep a larger circle of close friends. Like I said before, I’ve had trouble keeping friends from high school and college. You can’t go back and change what happened, but you can hang on to those you have now. Some new things I want to do with my work friends that became real friends–
- Start a supper club. Who’s in?
- Start a book club. Who’s in?
- Spend more time being active together—biking, walking, running, kayaking, etc.
- Go on a brewery tour. Who’s in?
- Keep recurring monthly phone dates with my best friends in other cities (Candice on the 12th, Ali—we need to pick a date, Emma…well, this girl doesn’t like hard & fast schedules and I love her for it).
- Go back to Columbus at least 1x a year. We LOVE all of Nate’s (now our) Columbus friends!
What’s on your list for love, friends & family…relationships in general?
ACT NOW: What ONE thing are you going to cross off this particular bucket list this week or schedule for cross off? Me?
- Forcing Ali to tell me when I can come to Chicago to visit her.
- Going to an informational session to learn more about foster parenting November 16th.
- Scheduled a family cookie bake + card party in December.
Life is so short. Take advantage of every moment. Don’t put anything off. Just go for it.